[CQ-Contest] The Race is On

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Race is On
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:20:47 +0100

As Scott W2LC noted, "the technology exists today to
place a station capable of remote operation on each and
every DXCC entity in the world."

Want to make a name for yourself?

Be the first to operate CQWW from all 40 zones, without
leaving home.

Be the first to get DXCC from 100 different countries
(the DXCC 10k award), without leaving home.

There may be a few niggles, or pangs of conscience, in
the process - but they are of little consequence in
view of the technical challenges and the real sense of
achievement involved.  The internet is not going to go
away and we are simply pioneering its integration with
ham radio.

We all accept that none of the remote QSOs could take
place without the internet.  That doesn't matter.  As
long as there's some RF, any RF, anywhere between the
two people communicating, it's a valid ham-radio QSO.

There may be some minor international licensing issues
right now, but that needn't stop the determined contester
or DXer.  We're all entitled to do whatever we like from
home and there's no point in letting a bit of red tape
hold up progress.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Is this really what we want?  By doing nothing, it's
what is likely to happen - and our activities will no
longer be recognisable as ham radio in any meaningful
sense.

In contesting and award-chasing, the simplest way for
sponsors to regain control is to require the operator
to be physically present at the station used.

In competition, how things are done matters.

73,
Paul EI5DI