Re: [CQ-Contest] Error free RBN

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Error free RBN
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:40:49 -0400
I am comfortable with both the level of "sanity checks" done in the raw RBN
stream, and in the more-highly-processed-filtered streams of downstream
aggregators.

Any spot information has to be evaluated and verified by ear and I think
folks already get a choice of different filtering levels by choosing either
the raw streams or the streams subject to the checks of the existing
aggregators.

I am usually most happy with the raw information, and don't mind it coming
through and applying some thought and common sense and ears to it.
Obviously the more filtering is applied, the greater delay before a spot
shows up.

I know for example that I am occasionally spotted as DX, e.g. the guy who
worked me, or as RN3QE :-). I don't know this by looking at the spots, I
know it when a whole bunch of dupes start calling me while I am running! I
just work the line of them, making sure I ID after every QSO and after
every call.

I do not get miffed at all when there are spotting busts. It is not my job,
or reversebeacon spotters job, to babysit the hams who don't use their ears
and knowledge. I mostly find it amusing (shouldn't we enjoy all aspects of
ham radio?)

Tim N3QE