Re: [CQ-Contest] contests and participation on air

To: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>, CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contests and participation on air
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 06:55:15 -0400
Well said, Charly. For most of my ham life I got into contests *in order to* work DX, because I was stuck with low power and wire antennas in the trees behind our townhouse.

I think what we need is a way to get the word out about what times of day and on what bands hams in the rest of the world can expect to hear (and maybe even work!) Southeast Asian stations like yours. I know that if you asked me (I've only been on the air since 1954) I could not tell you with confidence when the openings occur between the US mid-Atlantic and HS-land. Sure, I could go look at VOACAP, but I suspect a lot of new guys, even ones with HF privileges, don't know how to use tools like that, and a lot of others have been frustrated when they realized that those predictions are averages, and don't reflect conditions on any particular day or weekend.

Of course, you can go to the RBN and set filters so that it only displays stations heard in your area, and then select the zone or country you're interested in. The server will then look back a maximum of a week (it resets on Monday morning, UTC). Another tool that can help is ViewProp, by ZL2HAM. It is described at http://zl2ham.wikispaces.com/, and you can download the latest beta at http://zl2ham.wikispaces.com/. With ViewProp and a copy of DXAtlas from VE3NEA, you can download the RBN archive of spots from, say, the IARU HF contest, set your location, and play back the contest, showing when and where stations in your area were hearing/being heard, on all bands. You can even keep it running in the background, continuously, and see at a glance which bands opened over the last 24 hours, and to what areas.It is a very neat way to painlessly learn about propagation and plan your operating time, whether you're a contester or a DXer.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.