[CQ-Contest] WARC Bands and Contesting: Aargh! FAQ Update

To: CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WARC Bands and Contesting: Aargh! FAQ Update
From: jpescatore@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 05:39:59 -0400 (EDT)
The Contesting Wiki is locked from updates for maintenance right now, but I've
created this entry to add to the Aargh! FAQ at
http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Arrgh_FAQ :

The WARC bands are pretty quiet - shouldn't we start contesting on them? Short
answer: no. If that is not enough for you, read on. This is essentially the
"why are we not allowed to use certain frequencies in contests question
answered above. However, there are two reasons why it is good for the WARC
bands to stay contest free: (1) Non-contesters need a place to hide when we
contesters take over the bands on most weekends; and (2) as Tevye sang so
stirringly in "Fiddler on the Roof": Tradition! Supposedly, back at WARC-1979
it was agreed to keep the WARC bands contest-free. No one can find an actual
citation for this, but you are free to browse here.

73 John K3TN