Re: [CQ-Contest] Question...

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question...
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:30:52 -0700
That is a good question as I've always wondered that.  The only way I could
get 100 watts out in RTTY would be to run an amp as my radios only do 100
watts and couldn't run them 100% key down for a whole contest.

How about radios that are capable of running 400 watts or even 200 watts.
Seems to me they would be subject to the same rule.  If I crank my SB-200 up
full bore right now, I'm lucky to get 400 watts out of it.

I would really like to be able to drop the radio down to about 30 or 40
watts and not stress it.  73
Tom W7WHY

> My radio is old and the output has dropped. If I chose to would it be
> legal
> (ethical) to use an amplifier to get it back up to 100 watts output.

Depends on the contest and the entry category. The rules of many
contests only talk about transmitter output power, regardless of how it
is achieved, but the NAQP has a rule that deals specifically with
amplifiers: "6. ... Use of external amplifiers capable of more than 100
W output is not allowed."

73,
Rich VE3KI