Re: [CQ-Contest] The 2 point exception - WTF?

To: Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The 2 point exception - WTF?
From: Maarten van Rossum <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:32:23 +0100
Bob,

The 2 point rules for QSO's between NA stations is there to level te
playing field with the competitors in the rest of the world (OK, mostley
Europe). For instance, the continent Europe has manny more countries then
the continent NA. Hence the 2 point rule in NA.
As far as I can see, there is no reason to scrap this rule nor to rank them
separately. Maybe they should apply the same rule for Oceania and SA as
well.

73, Maarten PD2R

Op dinsdag 26 november 2013 schreef Bob Kupps (n6bk@yahoo.com):

> Hi after being off the air for the last 15 years or so I am a noob to the
> ways of modern ham radio, not to mention serious contesting (computer
> logging is still a novelty and I was never able to hook my K3 up to it).
>
> Anyway after the WW contests I wanted to see how my efforts might stack up
> against the pack so I checked out the write up for last year for the box
> scores for my category and noticed that the world rankings also included
> the NA scores. I really don't know what the rationale for giving NA
> stations twice the points everyone else gets for intra-continental QSOs but
> IMO competitors with different scoring systems should not be ranked
> together, because it cheats both groups out of knowing how they would have
> done had they all been playing by the same rules.
>
> So I call on the CQ contest committee to either scrap this rule, or if
> there are very valid reasons for it at least rank NA competitors separately
> from the rest of the world.
>
> Thanks for a fun contest and a Happy Thanksgiving to all those from or
> back in the old country.
>
> 73 Bob HS0ZIA

73, Maarten PD2R