[CQ-Contest] Amps

To: kq2m@kq2m.com, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Amps
From: Hal Kennedy <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 14:08:46 -0500
In answer to the question about which amps for SO2R, I run a pair of ACOM 2000A's.

Good:
-  Very reliable
- Tube cost relatively low
- Full power. Loafs at 1500W out. Many of the "full power" amps are as low as 1100 W on 24.9 and 28 MHz. - Remote head. My two heads take almost no room on the op desk. The amps themselves are in a closet.
-  Very complete instrumentation and fault protection
-  Amazingly quiet
- Very fast band changing.  10M to 160M in less than a second.
- Decent interface software if you don't want to send one dit to make it change bands
- Excellent service (Thanks, Array Solutions)
- Legal. This means a lot to me personally. You might be able to go to 1800 or 1900 Watts with manual tuning. Manual tuning is a horrendous PIA however. The amp auto-tunes to 1500W. This is not a 2 tube Alpha 77 or a Henry 8K or an EMcom 3K, 4K or 5K. Its a sad commentary that people using those amps do so without shame.

Bad:

- Price (and good luck finding a used one, although it does happen - rarely). The other big amps that are very good are also very expensive.
- 150 second warm up.  Not a big deal.

GL & 73,
Hal
N4GG