Re: [CQ-Contest] Dr. DX

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dr. DX
From: Gary Sutcliffe <w9xt@unifiedmicro.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:14:06 +0000
Dr. DX was an amazing piece of programming for its day. I saw it at Dayton and immediately went out and bought one plus a C-64 to run it on.

It was so realistic. The propagation algorithm was set for CQWW at sunspot maximum. If you tried to work 160M at noon you just heard static. Midnight on 10M produced silence.

You had guys calling with bad timing, chirpy signals, fast guys, slow guys and lids calling CQ on your frequency. I think if you copied a call wrong the station would send it again. Then there was the excitement when a really rare one called you.

More than once I was playing with it thinking I needed to go to bed but could not pull myself from a big pile up - only to whack myself on the side the head having forgotten this was just a simulation.

They ran some Dr. DX contests in NCJ. You could set it up in contest mode for some period of time and it produced a code that the manufacturer could use to verify the score.

N6TR did one of his Z80 miracles and had it play against Dr. DX, computer vs. computer. He would just crank up the speed enough to beat the previous winner's score. There was also a trick that you did not have to send the full call sign of of a station calling you, saving some time.

A Windows version would be really neat.

Gary, W9XT
www.w9xt.com