Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX Rules
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:03:43 -0700
On 1/31/2014 8:53 AM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
As far as the silliness of the rule which was noted by some...There are
lots of silly rules in contests.  For  example, the having to give up your
freq rule in the Sprint after a Q, is not  required by FCC.  No one complains
about that one

I agree with Bill on most of his other points. 3 QSO's is arbitrary and is no guarantee for expedience in making a contact. If people would simply stop calling stations that don't identify, what would happen? They would be forced to identify. Apparently we have to create new rules because people simply cannot NOT call an unknown station. How ridiculous is that?

Sprint was designed around the QSY rule. WPX was not. This is a poor comparison. Lets compare contesting to track and field. In track and field there are many different competitions, some are running as fast as you can while others are to jump as far as you can. Contesting is no different. We have competitions where the goal is to work prefixes, states or move after every contact, etc.

The participants in contest need to heed the contest rules and the rules and regulations for their license. The operator needs stay with in the rules and regulations of both. It is not the job of the contest to make sure their rules line up with every governing body in radio.

I agree with Bill on most of his other points. 3 QSO's is arbitrary and is no guarantee for expedience in making a contact. If people would simply stop calling stations that don't identify, what would happen? They would be forced to identify.

W0MU