Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 134, Issue 21

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 134, Issue 21
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:53:00 -0600
Kris,

You cannot determine fake QSOs on LoTW. That is because the confirmation is not 'validated' (made visible to both stations) until both participant's log entries match.

The eQSL system works differently. Incoming QSL requests arrive in your "inbox" whether or not there is a matching QSO on your part. This is just like QSLs coming into your postal mailbox. You can accept, ignore, or reject individual QSL requests manually, if you wish.

As a side note, the eQSL system came in handy when I was processing my old logs. In the early days, I had been logging my QSOs in local time instead of UTC. And with the different on/off dates of Daylight Saving Time, I was able to determine that my conversion to UTC for some contacts (and sometimes whole contests) were wrong. In that case I would see a dozen or so eQSLs that were off by an hour (or sometimes 5 or 6 hours). I was able to correct my log, delete my bad records from eQSL, and upload the corrected log. This process is not possible using the LoTW system.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN