Re: [CQ-Contest] Too Much 'Assistance'?

To: "'Marijan Miletic, S56A'" <s56a@bit.si>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Too Much 'Assistance'?
From: <w5gn@mxg.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 08:06:18 -0600
You said: "I prefer mouse clicking instead of slowly turning VFO knob over
empty band."

Here are my metrics and other comments on Assisted from the ARRL CW DX:

                     Qs    min   rate
Spots Worked        1284  1405    54

Using rbn with UNIQUE>2 filter, the accuracy of those spots was truly amazing -
I had less than a dozen cases where the decoded call sign was wrong, and some
of those were actually validly decoded, piss-poorly sent call signs.

OA4SS Pileup at 1845 when he came on.  Order he worked:
  W3LPL, W5GN, K3LR, AA7V, N3RR, K7EG, WA3KVN, AA2A

One spotted station kept incorrectly coming back to K5GN, so I corrected to
W5GN, and he came back again with that wrong call.  After five such iterations,
he finally said BOTH W5GN AND K5GN are calling, and then worked us both, Dave
first, since I was probably QRMing him!

I tabulated the spot worked rate comparing "jumping" on spots in the available
Q window, versus tuning up the band in classic S&P mode (BUT: with N1MM, as I
tune across a station, if he has been spotted I immediately see the call and
can work or tune by without waiting - or with just enough wait to confirm the
station is the spotted station).  Consistently when there were both good
conditions and plenty of spots, working by tuning generated several periods of
rates between 90 and 100, while jumping was significantly slower, typically
60-90.
And, when jumping I have NO awareness of what freqency I'm jumping to
(fortunatly, CW can't be out of band!).

73

Barry, W5GN