Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Laws of Propagation

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Laws of Propagation
From: Björn SM0MDG <bjorn@sm0mdg.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:58:40 +0100
On 27 Feb 2014, at 23:42, PCA <kt3y@aol.com> wrote:

> I was on from KP2M for about three hours in the CQ
> 160 SSB contest.  I am aware of the rumors surrounding
> KP4KE, and his actual power levels, so during the contest
> I mentioned his strong signal and asked about his "setup"
>
> He claimed to be using 100 w into a 2L vertical on 160.
> When calling CQ, I can only imagine that the array was
> aimed stateside or to Europe. Either it has no pattern or
> it was pointed straight at St. Croix.

I was low power in CQ-160 SSB this year. I worked KP4KE the first night. While
no propagation to K/VE I found him around 0500z during a S&P sweep. I expected
hard work ahead as he was weak, but was surprised as he responded to me almost
instantly. I can not judge if he was low or high power, but a high power
station with his signal would normally be more challenging for me to work in a
contest. K3ZM was 579-599 the second morning and he never heard me despite many
attempts.

I have no opinion one way or the other, just share my experience.

See you in ARRL SSB this weekend! (Will be in the SK3W team)

73 de Björn,
SM0MDG
8Q7BM
SE0X