[RTTY] Fwd: RE: MINUTES OF ARRL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>, "[Contest]" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Fwd: RE: MINUTES OF ARRL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:44:41 -0400

It's not just the RTTY contest community that has a stake here -
any RTTY operator, digital DXer, PSK31 operator, JT65/JT9 operator
PSK31/63 operator and CW operator/contester will be directly impacted.

Consider the extreme crowding currently effecting digital modes on 80
and 40 meters ... now what happens when the literally of dozens PACTOR
nodes currently showing frequencies on 80 and 40 expand from 500 Hz to
2.8 KHz bandwidth.  If one has any doubt about the potential magnitude
of the problem, take time to find and read the study documenting the
problem with interference from PACTOR 4 on 30 meters in Europe from
done by NRRL.

SSB contesters should not sit idle ... consider the situation with
D-STAR.  D-DTAR is "arguably" legal on HF today.  What happens if
Icom were to put its considerably economic clout behind an effort
to make the 6 KHz digital voice mode widely used on HF and pressure
ARRL to file *another* petition to remove any perceived impediment to
D-Star operation on any "voice" frequency between 1.8 and 29.7 MHz.
It would take only a few dozen dedicated D-Star operators and a few
"HF nodes" to completely screw up the phone bands during major phone
contests - CQWW, CQWPX, ARRL DX, SS, RadioSport, etc. or a major
Dxpedition.