Re: [CQ-Contest] SDR's have knobs too!

To: Stu Phillips <stu@k6tu.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SDR's have knobs too!
From: Neal Campbell <nealk3nc@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 16:01:46 -0400
Its interesting that knobs seems to be a stumbling block when considering
SDRs but once you own one for a couple of weeks, the issue is never raised
again (except when a visitor comes). Like Stu, I also use knobs during
contests. An innovative person has written software that allows me to use a
Hercules MP3 controller (a small box like DJs use at parties) that provides
a version of the remote VFO knob on steroids.

The biggest stumbling block I have seen isn't knobs but integration of the
various "receivers" of an SDR into a multi-radio setup for Writelog/N1MM.
We now have the capability to run 4 copies of skimmer, each fed from a
separate "receiver" from a SDR with WRitelog treating the radio as SO4V.

This is still a work in progress but we have already gone to a point of no
return, the rewards will be too great to not see it through. Then we can
get more and more people operating SOxV with them and start the incremental
improvements needed.

73

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal LLC