Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote@WRTC: Come to WRTC 2014 Boston, Operate IARU Rad

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, w5ov <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote@WRTC: Come to WRTC 2014 Boston, Operate IARU Radiosport from Vermont, Sweden, Brazil or upstate New York!
From: Mark van Wijk <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:29:17 +0200 (CEST)
in the Netherlands any remote operation *requires*  the physical presence of a
licenced amateur at the remote station during any transmission.
only exception are repeater stations for which a special permit needs to be
granted by officials.

>From my personal perspective ( and just cfmd by two other ops in our current
dorm),  remote operation for those hampered by any local restrictions/QRM seems
the last possible resort. But only nearby.
Remote operation cross-border/continent is a fine technical achievement, but
nothing more than using skype or cellphone.
During any contest the op should walk the last mile and put his but in the seat
of the physical station. This is not about denying your toy, but expressing an
opinion on true humanoid radio operation as we think it shoukd be.
Others may think differently, that is ok.

73 Mark, PA5MW, Aurelio PC5A, Rens PA3FGA

" In real life at HAMRADIO Friedrichshafen
"" Available for discussion at coffee, beer etc. (not remote and not replying
here on the list) during the next two days.