[CQ-Contest] PSK Power Level

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] PSK Power Level
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 13:45:11 -0400
I have done PSK31 a few times at home and more extensively in this past
field day.

I have discovered that if I have audio into the radio at a level high
enough such that there is any ALC indication on the rig at all, that I get
complaints from other PSK users that I have a bad signal.

If I turn the audio down right below the level of ALC indication, then the
complaints go away.

In both cases (complaints and no complaints), the actual power out of the
rig was right around 100W.

I don't think the complaints about signal quality have anything to do with
the absolute power level. I think it has to do with whether ALC is kicking
in and distorting the signal.

Tim N3QE