Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting.com certificate?

To: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting.com certificate?
From: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:06:06 -0700
Secure server certificates are the method of implementation of encryption for
HTTPS protocol websites.  They cost money when purchased from the typical
issuer, but have the advantage that the issuer is promising to whomever is
browsing there that the web site is what it says it is.  It sounds like someone
at contesting.com is a little late renewing the certificate.  Probably this
doesn't mean that you are endangered by visiting Contesting.com right now, but
I'd begin to get concerned about the security of passwords exchanged if this
went on for a very long time.  The owner of the web site was once W4AN, who
passed away suddenly while still a young man, and the site is now being managed
by one of the hams close to him -- I think he took over Bill's online
businesses or perhaps is just working at Bill's online businesses.  I'm sure
you can find his e-mail address somewhere on the web site.

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X