Re: [CQ-Contest] Rig Comparisons for Transmitter Noise

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rig Comparisons for Transmitter Noise
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 15:06:12 -0700
Thanks for the link, David.

I have my own take on this, which is more generic and differs a bit from Eric's. Part of it is because I run SO2R feeding my mic through a YCCC box, but mostly it's the result of my greater understanding of audio and the fundamental causes of hum and buzz. And I prefer solutions that are effective, free, and simple. :)

Avoiding hum and buzz without transformers is covered in

http://k9yc.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

Setting computer audio playback  levels is covered in

http://k9yc.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf

All of this advice applies to both SSB and digital modes, except that I no longer recommend using most internal sound cards for digital modes because inexpensive USB sound cards work a lot better.

73, Jim K9YC