Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contests or Dxpeditions

To: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>, "David Kozinn, K2DBK" <dkozinn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contests or Dxpeditions
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:56:09 -0500
Charles,

100 per cent right. And, unfortunately, 100 per cent irrelevant until you
can convince the security kommisars.

Remember, they don't need to let you board the plane.

73, kelly
ve4xt

On 9/23/14 6:16 AM, "Charles Harpole" <hs0zcw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pardon me, but one can make anything containing anything and make it
> just
light up... even compute or deliver song or be a pacemaker in your
> chest.
Just making an item light up is so silly as an inspection as to be
> foolish
in any bad guy's heart.  73, Charly​

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:49 AM,
wrote:

> [...]
> (wouldn't?) tell me his callsign. He asked
> some questions that were a little
> "off" for anyone who has ever done much
> on the air, but again, that's not
> their job.
>
> As far as carrying around batteries, packs or otherwise, if it
> comes to
> that, I guess I can deal with it, but having to carry around a
> bunch of
> batteries just in case the guy decides to make me switch it on is
> annoying.
> It's not like a phone that's got a built-in battery. On top of
> that, I'd
> assume if you go the "unopened batteries" route you'd need to
> immediately
> pick up more as soon as you landed, just to be on the safe
> side.
>
> Finally ,as far as carrying a copy of QST with my radio in an ad,
> I'm still
> using my trusty Icom MkIIG as my travel radio and that hasn't been
> in a
> magazine for years. :-)
>
> Anyone on the list know someone in the TSA
> that could answer a question
> about how likely this is to be an issue?
>

> 73,
>      David, K2DBK
>      k2dbk.com
>      k2dbk.blogspot.com
>
> twitter: @k2dbk
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Jim Brown
> <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon,9/22/2014 10:11 AM, David
> Kozinn, K2DBK wrote:
> >
> >> The powering up things is of concern to me even
> for domestic travel.
> >>

> > Depending on the radio, the receivers in
> most 12V rigs will at least turn
> > on and run from a fresh stack of 9 AA
> cells. A K3 draws only 1A in RX
> mode,
> > +100mA with the 2nd RX. A KX3
> draws a quarter of that. Another option is
> > low capacity LiIon battery
> pack. This 6Ah pack sells for about $65
> prewired
> > with Power Poles and
> weighs less than 2#. Note that it's current-limited
> at
> > 2A by the
> protection circuitry.
> >

> http://www.batteryspace.com/custom-lfp-18650-battery-12-
> >
> 8v-6000-mah-77wh-2a-rate-w-pcb-7-2.aspx
> >
> > Or this one -- 5Ah, but output
> current limited to 10A, for $80, a few
> > ounces lighter.
> >

> http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-battery-12v-5ah-60wh-
> >
> 10a-rate-with-led-indicator---replace-sla-12v-4-5ah-lighter-
> >
> weight-and-higher-capacity----un38-3-passed.aspx
> >
> > Both of these
> batteries have passed the safety testing that makes it
> legal
> > for them to
> be on an aircraft. There are many cheaper alternatives from
> the
> > same
> vendor that have not passed that testing.

Charly,