[CQ-Contest] SS Prefill

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS Prefill
From: AC0W <ac0w@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:55:18 -0500 (EST)
I'm going to agree with K0AD on this, using a prefill or database is a tool that can help improve your accuracy and reduce fatigue. As with any tool when used improperly it can do more harm than good. But to start expecting the other station to send something based on their call sign or what is in a prefill or database, as some suggest is asking for trouble.

Years ago when you heard a W1 you knew where he was unless the person sign portable. Now the W1 can move the Florida and retain his call and doesn't have to sign portable. That taught me to stop predicting what was going to be sent and to copy what is sent. My errors dropped as a result.

If what the person sends matches the prefill great less typing, if not, enter the correct data and move on. I don't question what was sent because the prefill doesn't match as I know the prefill is not 100% accurate. Like wise I don't question the KL7 who sends VA for their section as it is very possible for the KL7 to be in VA. Then in the situation I work someone and the prefill indicates WPA and I receive "static" PA I do ask for a repeat. Again I don't trust the prefill to be that accurate as the person may have moved to EPA.

By properly using the various tools available and proper operating techniques a person can minimize their errors and maximize their score.

Bill
AC0W

Message: 2