[CQ-Contest] Sound Card

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sound Card
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:06:17 -0600
Greetings everyone.

I'm a major fan of Digital Mode, well right now the original Digital Mode "CW" But I have seriously thought about doing the more elaborate digital modes like RTTY, PSK, JT etc. And now with N1MM running some recorded Voice messages on SSB.

Recently I finally after 12+ years got a new Computer, A DELL Inspirion 3847
Intel i5-4460  3.2Ghz
PCI slots

Typical sound system motherboard setup.

Except it's CRAP!!!!

My old DELL 12+ years old I have hooked up to a awesome amplified speaker system, And it sounds incredible. If there is any distortion at all, I can't hear it. At any volume level. And with this speaker system I sometime crank it up a LOT and rattle the walls.

I listen to all sorts of streaming audios too like from Radio Stations, and or like pandora etc. and sounds pretty good.

BUT........  and there always is a BUT isn't there?

This new computer sound it is terrible, distortion? I'd say 50% Honestly I have vintage 60's 2 transistor radios that sound better than this computer does. At any volume level it is terrible.

I had DELL work on it and everything it is just CRAP I don't dare use it to generate digital signals. Or recorded voice messages.

So thats what my question is here guys.

Looking for recommendations for a good sound card for bot amateur radio as well as music too.

Suggestions?

Joe WB9SBD
--
Sig