Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying & RDXC

To: JIM NEIGER <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying & RDXC
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:44:25 +0300
Jim,

We are 30 years apart, but our views are so similar.

I started my contesting career with a straight key and a number of copied
ARRL DX Log Sheets and a pen. Next year, the key was replaced with a bugg.
In a few years my Contest Elmer, Frank SM6CVT started his first attempts
with computer logging, using a Macintosh computer with a small monochrome
screen. The computer became slow due to the "massive" data that was entered
into it gradually, and we had no chance to keep pace with online logging.
However, one guy was typing parallel to the operator that was logging by
hand. Sometimes the computer guy managed to tell the operator: "Hey, that's
a DUPE". The pride in the face when he could tell the dupe at once, I still
remember. This was back in 1981-1984.

I made a break in Ham Radio after the military service and started to come
back in 2004 or 2005. Complex logging programs, computer that sent CW were
something completely new to me. I was hesitant whether to "accept" that
development as something good or not, but I gradually did, and nowadays I
hardly can imagine to work a contest without the keyboard and the automatic
CW transmissions. I did however try some year ago in a smaller contest, and
I still can use my Bencher and at the same time keep good pace. That was
fun.

However, no matter how I accept the development with logging programs that
transmit CW, I would be honest and say that there is a very clear and
well-defined border for me when it comes to clusters and RBN. It is not so
that I never use them. I would lie if I told you I don't...  But when I
feel that I should be really serious in a contest, and when there is a
chance to work in a non-assisted category, believe me I for sure choose
that opportunity. Because it shows the true Operator Skills, and not my
ability to play video games on the computer...

I very much agree with your statement below:

Those who wants to declare themselves some kind of "winners" through their
Internet progress have really missed the boat!

Yes, it is with true sadness (not to be equalized with nostalgia) I see
that such a skilled set of contest operators that now are in the organizing
chair for WRTC 2018, have compromised with the true essence of our
contesting hobby. German, whom I consider so great operators and so good in
preserving culture and history in other spheres of life - how on earth
could you make this decision of cementing the presence of Internet
dependability into our contesting hobby?  This is a true mystery for me -
and a very sad one. It does not became less sad when I realize that WRTC
2018 will not allow internet spotting in the real competition... That is in
my view extremely non-logical.

I still hope that German organizers will seriously review comments from
this reflector and others, and a last time consider the wise in equalizing
Assisted and Non-Assisted during qualification to WRTC 2018.

Remember also that many of the qualifying events already have removed
Non-Assisted as a class, and that all con testers participating in those
contests most likely still must use cluster and RBN to be competitive. Let
us leave the remaining contests as they are and base qualification on
Non-Assisted operation. That would be the best of compromise between
Non-Assisted and Assisted.

73 de Mats RM2D (SM6LRR)
Referee in WRTC 2010, 2014.