Re: [CQ-Contest] Legalities and ethics of international remote operation

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Legalities and ethics of international remote operation?
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:35:26 -0500
Hi Kevin,

When an operator is controlling a remote station in the US, that operator
IS the control operator, and is responsible.  It is not a repeater station,
and repeater rules don't apply.

>From the FCC's point of view, remote over the internet is "extending the
Mic or Key cable".    So, if a station is made available over the internet,
the owner of the hardware should ensure that users have the proper
licensing authorization.  This can be done with password protection or
other controls.

These concepts are not new.   www.remotehams.com has an ecosystem
of remote stations.  It had an authorization mechanism where the user who
wants to be able to transmit must upload a scanned image of the appropriate
license.  Then, station owners can look at this document, and make a
determination
as to allow TX operation or not.

Even with restrictions in place, a person can choose to ignore rules and
regulations
and operate illegally.   We need to stop these people.

They sky is not falling.  We have no proof the YO operated from a US remote
station.
If they did, they will eventually get caught, either bv the station owner
or the contest
organizers.

73 Gerry W1VE