Re: [CQ-Contest] Boom Mic / Headset

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Boom Mic / Headset
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 09:55:45 -0800
On Fri,12/26/2014 8:52 AM, Joe wrote:
If you use one, What one?

Yamaha CM500.

If you had to, would you buy it again?

YES!

This is a VERY comfortable headset that I can wear for as much of a long contest as I can sit in the chair (my best recent BIC time was 32 hours for CQWWCW). Both headphones and mic sound VERY good. Cost is about $60. It is an electret mic, so it needs bias. It plugs directly into the rear panel of a K3. For other rigs you'll need to make a simple cable adapter that mates the 1/8-in plug to the mic connector on the rig, and add a low watt 5.6K resistor inside the plug between V+ and the mic audio pins.

The only downside is that this is a consumer product, the cable is a wear item, and is not replaceable.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC