[CQ-Contest] The degradation of multi tasking in contesting

To: Contest Internet <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The degradation of multi tasking in contesting
From: Charles Henry <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 01:40:45 +0000
There is a news article that proposes that multi-tasking is actually not as
productive as we wish and that lots of incoming information to our brains can
be mis-routed to the wrong processing locations in the brain and to wrong
memory locations, too.  The research found that being in a situation where you
are trying to concentrate on a task, and an email is sitting unread in your
inbox, can reduce your effective IQ by 10 points.
It seems that this is the very same situation as doing one QSO while knowing
that another QSO is waiting on the other frequency in the case of One Operator
with Two Radios.  Maybe just a QSO just being possible works the same as
actually having one waiting.   Read the article and make your own conclusions?
You can read the full article at
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/18/modern-world-bad-for-brain-daniel-j-levitin-organized-mind-information-overload?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Meanwhile, remember the pleasure of being forced to think intensely about only
one thing... such as tightening the bolt while hanging high on a tower.
73, Charly
trying to bring non-electronic-technology discussions to ham radio, too.