[CQ-Contest] SSB Sprint Suggestion

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SSB Sprint Suggestion
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 08:34:15 -0500
Congratulations to the SSB Sprint guys on a well done event. I wasn't part of it - setting up a temporary antenna to operate in a noisy location is not an inspiring situation. But it was good to see lots of reported activity, including activity from DC and the Maritimes.

There was one thing the organizers did right, but I'm not sure if that was by accident or design. They picked a weekend with no other contests. When that happens, it make a good situation where us contest junkies will show up for a weekly contest fix.

Unfortunately that won't be the case on October 11:

+ Makrothen RTTY Contest        0000Z, Oct 10 to 1559Z, Oct 11
+ 10-10 Int. 10-10 Day Sprint   0001Z-2359Z, Oct 10
+ Oceania DX Contest, CW        0800Z, Oct 10 to 0800Z, Oct 11
+ Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB    1200Z, Oct 10 to 1200Z, Oct 11
+ Pennsylvania QSO Party        1600Z, Oct 10 to 2200Z, Oct 11
+ EU Autumn Sprint, CW  1600Z-1959Z, Oct 10
+ Arizona QSO Party     1600Z, Oct 10 to 2359Z, Oct 11

Lots of other stuff going on, some of it at the same time as the Sprint, some not.

On the other hand, three weeks later:

High Speed Club CW Contest      0900Z-1700Z, Nov 1

An almost totally empty weekend, with zero concurrent events.

That's because like this time, the weekend splits two months. Since most contests pick an "Nth" or "Last" full weekend date, these odd weekends go unused. A great opportunity to squeeze in a short contest.

I'd highly suggest the SSB Sprint guys adopt an opportunistic schedule of weekends that split months, or in months with five full weekends where one of those weekends gets overlooked. This will result in Sprints being held at random but predictable times of the year. It will take some extra promotion, but as we see, personal/targeted promotion such as was done this time works wonders. But a weekend with no other events makes for a good contest.

See you on Saturday evening, October 31?

73  -  Jim   K8MR   /4 in Snowbird Country