Re: [CQ-Contest] so2r question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] so2r question
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:09:57 -0400
Rick,

I've been doing SO2R since 1980 (back in the pre-computer days) and have built and used many different setups.

My experience has been that how one does SO2R is a highly personal thing. Lots of "SO2R newbies" jump into it without knowing how they will use it, which dictates how their setup should be configured and they get stumped. But you ask some excellent questions, so I think you get it. :-)

I have settled on using one computer, with a Top Ten DX Doubler to control the radios and I am completely satisfied with this setup. I have never used the MicroHam stuff, but I'm sure those products are good choices as well.

To me, the biggest issue in SO2R is desk space and conveniently accessing two radios. With two computers, even if you put the CPU boxes in some out of the way place, you can't avoid having two monitors and two keyboards, which only makes the problem worse.

To get the most out of SO2R, the best setup is a single, seamless environment for your brain and the radios to exist in. You want to be able to make a QSO on the second radio as easily as a QSO on the first radio and I can't see how shifting between monitors and keyboards allows this.

Some guys let the computer control the transmit path and use a simple switch to select radio A, radio B, or both. MFJ sells an inexpensive box that does this nicely. But this type of independent configuration can lead to confusion. Nothing is more frustrating than finding a guy on one radio and calling him on the other radio which is why I use the integrated switching like Top Ten or MicroHam.

Back in the 80s, I wrote an article in the NCJ on an "automatic receiver switch" which was a computer-independent box used by myself, K5GO, K2UA and others. I can't recall what issue this was in.

In a nutshell, figure out exactly HOW you want your SO2R to work, and the implementationwill follow naturally.

73, Dave/K8CC