[CQ-Contest] FTDX5000 Firmware Upgrade

To: "nccc@contesting.com" <nccc@contesting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FTDX5000 Firmware Upgrade
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:30:52 -0700
Thanks to neighbor N6TA, I've been able to measure the occupied bandwidth of the Yaesu FTDX5000 before and after implementation of Yaesu's September 2014 firmware upgrade. The results of the upgrade are quite positive -- the original FTDX5000 tested by ARRL Labs was pretty awful, close to the worst of all modern rigs. My measurements are documented in the link below. If you own one of these rigs, you owe it to your neighbors to do the upgrade. It's still nowhere near as clean as a K3, but it's a lot less awful. :)

k9yc.com/FTDX5000_Report.pdf

73, Jim K9YC