Re: [CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule
From: Oliver Dröse <droese@necg.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 00:12:31 +0200
My experience is that the majority of offenders ignore
you when you politely inform them in the act.

Various experiences here, Barry.

UA9MA was 40 kHz wide on 10 m during WPX-SSB. When I told him he thanked me and re-tuned his PA so yes, he did take it serious. Problem was that even after re-tuning his PA he was still 30 kHz wide but was convinced he was perfectly clean now. :-(

CN3A as the second worst offender was 30 kHz wide and did not even react when telling them. :-(

Both s9+30 and RX'd with a K3, 2.1 kHz 8 pole roofing filter switched in & pre-amp off so I'm quite confident my RX was not the problem (which might be the case depending on the RX's people use, of course).

I did report a number of excessive bandwidth cases after CQ WW CW last year with exact times & frequencies as I was really pi**ed off by guys being 2 or 4 or even 10 kHz wide on CW (key clicks and/or sideband noise). :-( Besides a short "Thanks Olli. We will look into these." message no further feedback from the contest committee yet. Really curious to see if actions were taken on the stations reported. If not than the rule is nothing else than empty words ...

And I hope the committee is not hiding behind sentences like "we did check it on our SDR recording but the signal was only s3 there and 'normal bandwidth' so we could not verify". At s9+20 on a real antenna (and not just a 1 m long whip/active antenna on an SDR) it was not clean.

If it would help to send in screenshots of those wide signals for evidence and according actions would be taken I would even be willing to buy a pan-adapter and make screenshots during the contest to assist to clean our bands from those crappy signals. But a clear commitment of the committee is needed that they do so before I'm going to spend money I otherwise would not invest, of course.

73, Olli - DH8BQA

--

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de