Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging Programs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging Programs
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 06:45:26 -0700
Two years ago, the Field Day group I went out with used N3FJP in a wireless network. There were problems with the network and the server lost a bunch of QSOs. I figured no problem, the missing QSOs will be on each of the local machines. I was told later (I wasn't involved in post-Field Day entry submittal) that N3FJP wasn't setup to keep a local copy of the log. Again, I figured no problem, the guy who setup the computers just hadn't set it up to keep a local copy of the log. When I inquired later, I was told by a couple of guys in the club that had allegedly looked into it, that N3FJP wasn't capable of keeping a local copy when run in network mode. I still find that hard to believe. Does anyone know for sure if that is true? It just seems really dumb not to allow for a local copy of the log while networked.

BTW, I went out with the same group this year. We used N3FJP again, but we didn't network the computers. The CW memories stopped working a couple of times requiring us, in at least one case, to do a full power cycle on the laptop to get them to come back (a warm restart of the laptop wasn't enough). Other than that, the program worked fine. It is easy to use, which is good for a Field Day where you have a whole spectrum of operator skill and experience (we had one CW operator who had never used electronic logging in his life and another operator who is a former WRTC participant).

73, Mike W4EF........