Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Time-Off Strategy

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Time-Off Strategy
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 12:24:22 -0600
John,

There is no one-size-fits-all "best practice". August and January NAQP are very different. And east vs. central vs. west makes a difference. Every contest presents new ionospheric challenges and opportunities.

I can only speak from my New Mexico/Colorado experience.

Yes, taking 30 or 60 minutes between 23Z and 02Z is good in August for the reason you state. In January, it's probably a little narrower, like 23Z-00Z. I would typically wait for 20 to close, then take off-time, even though 40 was open. After all, you have to take that off-time sometime ! If 10 and 15 are poor at the start of the contest, taking 30 minutes off after the first hour, and another 30 minutes in the first 3 hours is a good strategy. However, last weekend 10 and 15 were excellent for the first 2 hours, and taking off-time then would have been unwise.

I don't think activity slacks off as early as you observed - you need those 80 and 160 QSO's and mults. But quitting the contest and using your last time-off at 0530Z is a good idea.

My exact off-times last weekend were:

2035Z-2104Z
2159Z-2228Z
2350Z-0019Z
0109Z-0138Z

In retrospect, I should have skipped the 2350Z off-time and taken 0530Z-0600Z off.

73,
Steve, N2IC