Re: [CQ-Contest] Verticals on the beach (AGAIN)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Verticals on the beach (AGAIN)
From: alannottage--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:35:46 -0400

I don't have a scientific calculator to hand Mike, but those '200 ft hills are
what 18 degs?  100' is 9degs?  The latter is going to be fine for EU on the
high bands in good times, but if you're really talking verts on the beach, then
that whole saltwater scenario is what is going to count.  The Fresnel zone will
be out to 10 wavelengths at least so 1000 feet is going to be fine down to 30
metres (10Mhz).  On 40m, that's likely to be a little less than ideal, but the
improved ground conductivity in the very near field will likely begin to play
into your hands at that frequency and in particular below as Ed says.  Some of
those places in VE1 that you describe are up creeks and might be just brackish
rather than pure seawater at the 'beach' of course.  Good luck!

Al G0XBV