Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:22:21 -0700
On Tue,9/8/2015 9:24 PM, donovanf@starpower.net wrote:
That "growly" signals you're hearing are harmonics of your transmitted
signal generated by unintentional radiators, especially switching power
supplies. This type of RFI -- sometimes called "flooding" -- is caused
by solid state devices flooded by intense RF fields (your transmitted signal)
in which they were not intended to operate.

Great info! I've often heard this stuff, and wondered about the mechanism. It makes perfect sense. Thanks, Frank. Some questions.

1) Have you run into this with linear power supplies?

2) Do common mode chokes on wiring connected to these sources provide suppression? (In the case of rotator controllers, this would, of course, include the control cable to the rotator, and for all devices, the AC line cable).

3) Are conventional AC line filters effective for the power line component? What I'm really asking here is, "is the coupling to the noise source common mode or differential mode or both?"

73, Jim K9YC