[CQ-Contest] When is it OK to refuse to give out a QSO?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] When is it OK to refuse to give out a QSO?
From: "Bill Mader" <billamader@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:06:45 -0600
In most contests, the bulk of contacts come from non-contesters.
Fortunately, most contesters don't behave like those described in this
thread.  We need non-contesters to play with us and maybe convert.  So
influencing those who behave poorly is an important element of contesting.
This is where recording contests could be beneficial.

A recording of both sides of the contact might demonstrate a warranted
sanction.  Many participants might behave differently (human nature) if they
knew their QSO's were recorded.  It works for us who race sports cars which
is the second reason why I use a camcorder in my car.  The first is watching
the video to improve (similar motivation for recording contests).

As a recent DX chaser, I am appalled by the behavior I hear in pileups.  It
is frequently from "Honor Roll" individuals who don't need the contact
(except for the CQ Marathon, perhaps).  When called out, they feel insulted
and reply with rude barbs, even though I believe an accurate description of
their poor behavior is not an insult.  They are either inconsiderate,
ignorant, senile, or a combination of all three.

The same is true of "experienced" contesters.  Whether it's not ID'ing,
being rude, etc., bad behavior is not acceptable and deserves sanctions
IMHO.  Implementing sanctions must be well-out and fair, a difficult
standard to achieve.  Integrity is more likely when some know their being
watched/recorded.  Cleaning up the bands could make ham radio more enjoyable
although it's a never-ending effort.

73, Bill, K8TE