Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote station antenna disconnection methods?

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote station antenna disconnection methods?
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:56:14 -0400
This summer, we took about an expensive hit at K2LE/1's station in Vermont
-- Luckily covered by insurance -- but still a PITA fo fix.
This station is primarily operated remotely except for the big 4.

It was probably a one-in-50-year storm.  If you ever need to make an
insurance claim, buy the $99 report from here:
http://www.vaisala.com/en/products/thunderstormandlightningdetectionsystems/Pages/strikenet.aspx
Incredibly details reports on any strike in the US.    The maps for our hit
looked like a DOD strike map.  More than 5 strikes within 1/8th mile of the
shack..

Anyway, our strike did not come in via the antennas on any of the four
towers.  It came in via the DSL line, destroying the DSL Modem, several
switches, two computers connected to those switches, an FT1K MP connected
via one of the computers, and, unfortunately, the control electronics in a
Hammation 2x8 antenna switch, via the USB (ALL the RF was fine.)

Protect as much as you can, but I believe it is very difficult to protect
against a direct hit.  Of course, it is often induction, and NOT the
antenna system that will get you.

73, Gerry W1VE