Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America at C

To: Fernando PY2LED <py2led@fuertesind.com.br>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America at CQWW and other contests
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 22:42:06 +0700
Fernando, also consider being in South East Asia,  2858 miles from Tokyo
and 4637 miles from Turkey, and still be labeled ALL in one group called
"Asia."

The ARRL and CQ contests are American contests (and that does not include
SOUTH America), made up by geographically challenged people who could be
thinking of "DX" as the rest of the world, which BTW exists to serve and
excite N. American operators.

Something to contemplate.  Charly

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Fernando PY2LED <py2led@fuertesind.com.br>
wrote:

> Hello Dear Contesters, good day!
>
> I was analyzing results from CQWW, CQWPX and in some categories we can see
> some nice records made by stations located in the Caribean Islands. Some of
> this islands counts like South America.
>
> It is extremelly difficult or impossible to beat their scores from South
> of Brazil, Argentina, Uruguai, Paraguai and other south countries due to
> the big distances to the main countries lime USA and some European
> countries. Also during the main contests, we have only one station (one
> multiplier) in some of this islands like Bonaire, Aruba etc and everybody
> will try the qso.
>
> I would like to understand if's there an explanation or criteria why they
> are located in South America for this contests. When we go to some
> Geography books, some autors gives reason why they don't include such
> islands at South America and they do like Caribean islands.
>
> Maybe this example applies to other parts of the world.  Why not to create
> an Islands Category or Central America or so?
>
> Would like to share and listen opinions about this issue.
>
> Many thanks and best 73's
>

> > Fernando Cordoba | PY2LED | PX2B
> > Sao Caetano do Sul | SP | Brasil
> > GG66rj