Re: [CQ-Contest] ModMic Microphone Reviews?

To: "donovanf@starpower.net" <donovanf@starpower.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "pvrc@mailman.qth.net" <pvrc@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ModMic Microphone Reviews?
From: David Aslin G3WGN <david@aslinvc.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 22:45:50 +0000
Hi Frank,
I used a Bose QC15/AntLion ModMic 4.0/Elecraft K3 combination for some Qs at
E6GG.  My thoughts (based on lots of Qs but no exhaustive testing of objective
sound quality):
- attachment of the magnets is very straightforward on the QC15 ear shell and
the boom lines up nicely in the correct position
- good TX sound quality - no doubt can be refined with K3 EQ adjustment, but
worked fine right out of the box with the same settings as my regular Yamaha
500s
- as mentioned in the YouTube link you provided, having two cables (separate
for mic and headphone audio) is a little messy and you will find a little
untangling is needed when removing/disconnecting the headset.  Not a big deal
and not needed on every remove/replace cycle.
I'd taken the QC15s to Niue as I like noise cancelling on a multistation
DXpedition (or contest) for CW.  Being able to use them also for SSB was a nice
bonus.
Overall the ModMic 4.0 is a keeper.  Solutions that have a neater cable setup
are available from the aviation community, but you will be paying $250+ for the
boom mic add on from there.  The ModMic is great value for money.
No connection with the company, etc.
73, David G3WGN  M6O