Re: [CQ-Contest] How much is a dB worth ?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How much is a dB worth ?
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:55:25 -0500
Dave, while those statistics were my personal station, I also looked at
other scores in top-5 or top-10 boxes of the big DX contests. I would
generally say that the #5 NA HP entrants have twice the Q's and 3 times the
score of the #5 NA LP entrant. Tripling the score with 12 dB more power,
works out to 10% more score per dB. (1.10 to the 12th power is a little
more than 3.)

While it is not obvious that a #5 NA LP entrant's antenna system is
identical to a #5 NA HP entrant's antenna system, I think that it's a fair
assumption that they both put in a similar effort and have decent antenna
systems.

Dave, on my home antenna system, I actually do quite well in DX contests on
high bands, but really struggle on high bands in domestic contests. I am
just inside the beltway and have a nice terrain drop off to the NW and N
and by some stretch of imagination a long "14 lane wide concrete valley" to
the NE, that I'm thinking must help radiation at DX angles. Who knows,
maybe all that concrete is conductive or something helping reduce ground
losses too. Look at what Frank was saying about salt marshes, maybe a mile
of 14 lanes of concrete valley pointing to NE, is as good of a conductor as
a mile of salt marsh!

On low bands of course most guys do not have a beam and I do exceptionally
well there, both domestic and DX.

On nearby terrain... I also have the WMAL radial field just a little to my
Northeast, too. They are going to turn that
isolated-by-270-to-beltway-merge triangle into a housing development, hope
some of the ground conductivity stays in place!

Tim N3QE