Re: [CQ-Contest] Ohio is now West Coast - rebuttal

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ohio is now West Coast - rebuttal
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:38:42 -0500

Frank. Thanks for the knowledge base and I agree with your statements.

The key for my area, similar to what K3LR experienced last weekend, is the
further north reflection point and the MUF and absorption properties of that
point heading to EU or JA.  That can clearly be 20 or 30 dB of degradation as I
can hear it swing up and down on 40, 80, and 160M. Take a pass on a band and
hear DL1A 20 or 30dB stronger than the last time 30 mins or an hour earlier.
If the conditions are not too brutal, then its not that big a deal. If they
are, it’s a game changer.

How many miles out are you calculating that first reflection point to be?  It
depends on the angle of radiation that is favoring the day on the band in
question.

Ed  N1UR