Re: [CQ-Contest] Yaesu FT-1000 CAT to USB

To: k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Yaesu FT-1000 CAT to USB
From: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 16:20:40 -0400
This topic keeps resurfacing. My experiences may help someone. My previous
USB-Serial converters used  GENUINE Prolific chips. The Prolific website
has (or had) a test program to identify counterfeit chips, and mine were
real. These cables worked just fine until I went to Windows 10 (I'm not
calling it an upgrade). All my cables stopped working. Turns out Prolific
obsoleted the real version of the  most often counterfeited chips, and,
Windows Update  installs the new driver which no longer supports even a
real Prolific chips. The "fix" from the company that sold me the cables was
to uninstall the new driver, reinstall the old driver and TURN OFF WINDOWS
UPDATE! Not going to do that. Being resourceful, I checked Amazon, and the
price for FTDI cables and adapters ranged from $6 to $25. Reading reviews,
it turns out some of the cables advertised as FTDI were actually the
obsoleted Prolific chips!  So, I ordered FTDI cables from Valley
Enterprises and they are working just fine for me.
https://www.valley-ent.com/store/ I have no personal interest in Valley
Enterprises. --73, Mike, WV2ZOW