Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day Rules - From the ARRL

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day Rules - From the ARRL
From: Gerry Treas K8GT <k8gt@mi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 03:26:01 -0400
Jim, I disagree with your interpretation.

First, Field Day is not a contest, so General contest rules don't apply, Field Day Rules do.

Second, the only thing that "the Octopus" rules referred to were those that were trying to use more transmitters than the class that they were claiming.

The only people that are arguing this are the "bare knuckle brawler" contesters. Like W2LC said, and I agree, our operation is a low key event. Last year we even prevented our 3 hardnosed contesters (I'm one) from operating if there were newbies, VHFers, even unlicensed people around. It was up to us to mentor them and be their control ops. Expose the public to Amateur Radio and all that we do. It's paid off in more students for our license classes and more members for our local club.

Then if things got slow, we'd jump in and operate. The only reason that we don't want rigs to sit idle isn't for the score but just to have more people exposed to HF operating.

Last year, we had a teacher from the STEM school that we did an ARISS contact at, and she had gotten her Tech license but had never been on the air. We set her down with one of our best mentors and even as nervous as she was, she was game. An hour later we couldn't pry her out of the chair, she was having so much fun. THAT'S what Field Day is all about. I usually get a couple of hams come out and all they want to do is ask questions about radios, antennas and misc items. They don't even operate but we try to talk them into it.

I love contesting, but that's not why I participate in Field Day.

Go have some laid back Field Day FUN!

73, Gerry, K8GT