Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW madness

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW madness
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 07:05:39 -0500
What I'm going to say doesn't appeal to me personally, since I contest as an S/O CW operator without Internet in the shack, but if we are going to make radiosporting interesting to young people, future radio contesting has to be all about the Internet. That will mean real-time scoring, photos of competitors in action, screen-shots of stations and antennas posted, the use of data bases to make the progress of the competition interesting in real time. In addition, remote operation options are going to have to be an essential part of any planning since more and more people, plus the youth in particular, are not going to have access to a station that will provide them with a fun and challenging experience.

This Pokeman Go sensation is an indicator of the use of location and virtually-real emoji characters that could be used to make radiosporting more current. I'm not the one to come up with these features, but there are people in the gaming industry who can. Some sponsor should cooperate with state-of-the-art video technology and define a competition that is thoroughly based on location and real-time interactions. The participation numbers of our sport are peaking now, but in twenty years, with restrictions on antennas and more crowded housing development, plus the aging of the ham radio population, the writing is on the proverbial wall.

Jim N3BB