Re: [CQ-Contest] “You can’t have a Dayton Hamvention in Las Vegas, Nevad

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] “You can’t have a Dayton Hamvention in Las Vegas, Nevada,”
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 05:36:41 -0400
Cincinnati, Nashville, and Indianapolis...easy to get to by fly or drive and all three have large convention centers next to RV facilities.

On 7/30/2016 7:04 PM, Gary Sutcliffe wrote:
For a hamfest/convention to reach the attendance of Dayton it has to be within a reasonable driving distance for major population centers. Most attendees are not hard core like people joining this group who probably come down Thursday or even Wednesday to attend extra events like Contest U, FDIM, etc. Most come down just for Saturday. The load up their car drive a few hours and split gas costs. Those people are not going to buy a plane ticket. Even most of the hard core contesters coming for several days car pool to Dayton.

The flea market is a big thing for a lot of attendees. Only a few of the flea market dealers could afford to haul their wares to a NV flea market. Certainly the guy wanting to unload a boat anchor or two can’t put it on the plane. Buyers are only going to buy stuff they can fit in their luggage.

Then there are the inside vendors. A lot of those businesses are small operations. They are not going to be able to afford Las Vegas convention rates along with the unions charging to haul the boxes in, plug in power cords, etc. As it is, every year there seem to be fewer inside dealers. If the ARRL had not started taking up half of one of the halls there would be even more empty space. This is even with DARA offering smaller exhibit spaces at lower prices than when I last exhibited inside a number of years ago.

No doubt HARA got to be a real dump. But, the reality is I come down socialize with others I only see in person once a year, to see what new products are being introduced, catch a seminar or two and maybe buy or sell a few items in the flea market. I go every year unless I have some other event I can’t get out of. Never once have I considered skipping it because of HARA’s poor condition.

If it were moved to Las Vegas I probably would make it once every 5 years or so. I hope DARA gets the new site finalized and has a great Hamvention in 2017. I plan to attend.

Gary, W9XT
www.w9xt.com