[CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: Hints and tips for NAQP

To: 'CQ Contest' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: Hints and tips for NAQP
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:54:48 -0400

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: [CQ-Contest] Hints and tips for NAQP
Date:   Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:32:46 -0400
From:   David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
To:     Timothy Holmes <taholmes160@gmail.com>

All:

I apologize for my previous incomplete message on this subject.  I was
trying to send it from my hotel room in Rhodes, Greece and there was
some sort of error (dunno, it could have been iPhone software error or
cockpit error on my part - probably the latter, but I didn't think the
partial message had been sent).

So let me finish my thought.  IMHO, the second most important NAQP
strategy decision is off time selection.  NAQP requires that you take
two hours of off time during the contest, in intervals of at least 30
minutes at a time.  Bad off time strategy won't kill your contest, but
it WILL prevent you from making your best possible score.

The best strategy for NAQP off times is highly dependent on the area of
the country in which you're located.  I'll offer some generalities, but
I'm going to focus primarily on NAQP from the midwest, since that is
where I have the most experience and is where the question came from (de
Tim, W8TAH).

The main off time strategy for any contest requiring off time is to take
time off when rates are anticipated to be the worst, so you can be
operating when rates are better.  In NAQP from the midwest, this means
starting to take off time fairly early (like in the first third or half
of the contest)  A lot of people make this mistake, as it seems
non-intuitive.  But from the midwest in NAQP, 40/80/160 are the "money"
bands, while 20/15/10 are the "get what you can, but don't waste time"
bands.  So be sure to use up some of your off time during daylight (when
40/80/160 are likely to be poor).  Certainly you should spend time on
20/15/10 to get QSOs and especially multipliers, but don't get caught
"playing DXer" chasing high band mults at poor rates.

IMHO you should take at least 50% of your off time in NAQP (e.g., one
hour) in the first half of the contest, but even 1-1/2 hours is not too
much.

The other NAQP off time strategy is to take off times in the minimum
amount permitted by the contest rules, in the case of NAQP that would be
30 minutes.  So if the rate goes into the tank and you can't find any
band which will get you going again, take an off time, keeping in mind
how much off time you still have to take.

Lastly, keep accurate track of your off time while operating during the
contest so that you won't wind up taking too much (or too little) off
time by the end of the contest. Some logging programs will do this for
you but make sure the program is using the correct 30 minute minimum off
time interval, and not 15 minutes or an hour.

For a midwest station, I would start taking off time during the second
hour of the contest (again, not more than 30 minutes).  Come back on and
make QSOs, while watching your rate and when it tanks take another off
time.  The goal should be to have taken 60-90 minutes of off time by
00Z.  Keep watching your rate, and save your last off time(s) for when
things slow down. Good possibilities for your last off time is when 40
gets worked out, but 80 hasn't gotten rolling yet, or when 80 gets
worked out and 160 hasn't gotten rolling yet.

So as you can see, off time and band selection are somewhat related, and
might also be affected by your station effectiveness as well (perhaps a
poor antenna on 160, or lacking a beam on 20/15/10).  But the mistake I
see made most often is simply not taking enough off time early (when
midwestern stations are at a disadvantage due to skip zone) and having
to take more off time later (when midwestern stations are at an advantage).

73, Dave/K8CC