Re: [CQ-Contest] Log what was sent

To: Hans Brakob <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log what was sent
From: Maarten van R <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 19:48:24 +0200
Maybe it the difference in age or perhaps it has something to do with
having a different cultural background, but I don't get why some of you get
worked up about this.
IMHO the CQWW never had anything with copying the exchange correctly. It's
about getting the callsigns and running high rates. If copying the exchange
was that important, then they wouldn't have chosen the CQ zone number as
part of the exchange. For over 90% of the contact you can derive the CQ
zone simply by looking at the prefix. No need to copy it. Furthermore, why
do get all worked up about this while everybody seems perfectly OK with
just logging 59 or 5NN even if someone sends a different report?

If copying the exchange is that important then choose something like a
serial number or any other random number as part of the exchange. Even
something like the operators age or year he/she was first licensed could be
derived from last years log. We all know there are contest who use serial
numbers. This one doesn't and I for one am glad that this one is different.

I think discussions like this are great because we should strive to make
the CQWW even better then it already is. But keep in mind that CQWW is
still the most popular contest on the calendar so it seems like most
entrants are perfectly happy the way it is. Furthermore, we most not forget
that perhaps only 2% of all CQWW entrants are giving their opinions on this
reflector.

73, Maarten PD2R