Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A Alpha Max

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "'cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha 87A Alpha Max
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 16:36:31 -0400
Jim,

The usefulness of Alpha Max depends on your antenna system. If you have only
one antenna per band, it's really not necessary. The base design of the 87A
includes precise tuning for enough frequency segments to ensure optimum tuning
for one antenna per band. I don't think AlphaMax adds much value in this
scenario, except perhaps to deal with small impedance changes that might occur
if you use switchable stubs or filters, or to deal with impedance changes that
result from unusual weather conditions, snow cover, etc. You can probably live
with somewhat less than optimum tuning in those cases. If the amp is on your
operating desk (as opposed to located remotely, in another room, etc.), then
you can reach over and quickly peak the tuning when necessary.

AlphaMax really shines when you have multiple antennas per band. With the base
amp you can only store the tuning parameters for one antenna on each band, so
tuning will not necessarily be optimum for other antennas on that band.
AlphaMax deals with this really well (though sometimes it needs a brief steady
carrier to compensate for the impedance changes.) I'm a serious contester with
multiple antennas per band in my station (as many as four per band with
switchable stubs and filters), so I find AlphaMax absolutely necessary to
ensure rapid optimization of power output and grid current when I switch
antennas. I can immediately tell if I happen to have AlphaMax tuning switched
off -- grid current is high and power is usually lower than max on all but one
antenna per band.

Note that If your 87A is remote from the operating desk, you're not necessarily
out of luck. In theory you can use AlphaRemote to peak the tuning. There's also
the free program Alpha 87A CAT, which has a lot more features, a better display
and complete access to the front panel functions.

[As an aside, the Acom 2000A solves the problem differently. Each frequency
segment can contain tuning parameters for up to 10 antennas -- more than enough
for most stations, even if you use switchable stubs or filters. It's
interesting how the approaches differ: the 87A requires you to manually tune
your one antenna per band, but then AlphaMax can peak the tuning. The 2000A
will automatically tune a given antenna and store the parameters, but it won't
autotune on the fly. This makes it easy to quickly retune your antennas, which
takes a lot more time on the 87A -- even for one antenna per band. But it's odd
that the 2000A doesn't have offer autotune for peaking the amp on the fly.
Although it's relatively easy to tell the 2000A which antenna you're using, you
do have to remember which antenna corresponds to which antenna number in the
2000A. I solved the problem by driving the 87A frequency segment and antenna
selection from homebrew antenna switching software.

As for duplicating AlphaMax, I can't answer the question with authority, but I
have some thoughts. The upgrade consists of two chips, a PAL and an EPROM. It
should be possible to copy the EPROM data from another AlphaMax EPROM in order
to create a new one. I found one email online where KK2ED had a bad AlphaMax
EPROM and was looking around for one to copy. The PAL chip may be more
problematic. I don't know if you can copy the code from one of those or what
type of programming device you would need. RKR Designs should be able to advise
on that. If Glen AE0Q is still there I'm sure he can answer the questions. For
a long time the world's expert on the 87A was Brad, who I think worked for the
company from the time the amp was originally developed. If he's still at RKR,
he'll know.

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M