Re: [CQ-Contest] modest proposal ...up to 200w

To: "Charles Harpole" <hs0zcw@gmail.com>, "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] modest proposal ...up to 200w
From: "Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)" <K8UT@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:33:05 -0400
Charly,

>With many modern transceivers now offering a top wattage of 200 watts...

Looking at the category of transceivers that produce 200 watts, it is not the
word "modern" that distinguishes them from other rigs, but the word
"expensive." These are typically the upper-end of the manufacturers' product
line and the manufacturers demand upper-end pricing. A huge segment of the
contesting community - not just K3 owners - would be disadvantaged by your
proposal.

I personally think the current 100 watt distinction provides a reasonable
distinction between QRP and the full legal limit, and see no compelling reason
to change that.

-larry (K8UT)