Re: [CQ-Contest] Info On USB keyers

To: Carol Richards <n2mm@comcast.net>, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Info On USB keyers
From: Charles Stackhouse <cstack14478@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 11:47:03 -0500
>Besides WIN-Keyer, are there any other USB keyers available; commercial or
homebrew out there? I don't need >much, other than to be compatible with
N1MM+

Carol,
Here is a link to K3NG  arduino keyer. This should work for you.
https://blog.radioartisan.com/arduino-cw-keyer/

 If you get a Chinese clone Arduino from ebay (such as
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nano-V3-0-Mini-USB-ATmega328-5V-16M-100-ORIGINAL-FTDI-FT232RL-For-Arduino-/141975930653?hash=item210e6cc71d:g:I4UAAOSwpDdVY-Cy)
the cost is only $5.60 plus a USB cable and a single RCA cable you can cut
in half and use to connect to Key and PTT on your radio.

I have read that you should only use the FTDI FT232RL USB chip rather than
the CH340G to avoid having to play games with drivers. Look at Andy Flowers
K0SM short article on using an Arduino Nano to send FSK as he  "Swapped FSK
and PTT pins so that they are compatible with K3NG's Arduino-based keyer
using the "nanokeyer" configuration. This makes it possible to have either
a CW keyer and FSK keyer in a single piece of hardware depending on the
firmware loaded on the device."
http://www.frontiernet.net/~aflowers/tinyfsk/

I bought a couple of these Nano clones, put them into an Altoids tin box
with an USB cable in and two cables with RCA jacks out and it worked fine
for FSK. A 30 second firmware flash would turn them into  Winkeyers.

73, Charlie W2GN