[CQ-Contest] PJ2T 3830 Comments - Really!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] PJ2T 3830 Comments - Really!
From: Geoff Howard <ghoward@kent.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 10:54:04 -0800
Dang, I had forgotten that this doggoned server rejects all attachments. Here's the 3830 text.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It?s called the WORLDWIDE contest for good reason, and this year PJ2T had a truly worldwide team. Check out our team list:

Kei, JJ1RJR, lives and works in Jakarta, Indonesia, and traveled AROUND THE WORLD to Curacao in order to spend 3.5 days at PJ2T. He made that monster trip from Jakarta, to Kuala Lumpur, then Amsterdam, then Aruba, and finally Curacao, and then back, solely to operate with us. This was not a work related trip ? it was just for the contest! In our long PJ2T history nobody has come farther, although RW0CN comes close. Kei spent four days traveling in order to spend three days operating in Curacao.

Uli, DL8OBQ, is a many years CCC/PJ2T member from Rinteln, Germany, and served as our operating leader.

Heiko, DK3DM, also has many contests at PJ2T under his belt and made the journey from Warstein, Germany.

Ton, PA1CC, came to Curacao on KLM from his home in Tilburg, Netherlands and has also been at PJ2T multiple times before.

Tom, VE3CX, lives in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Check that out on the map. That?s a lonnnnng way from Toronto and other major hubs, yet he made the trip a second time to be part of PJ2T.

I (Geoff, W0CG) live in Coeur d Alene, Idaho. That?s so darned remote that it takes me more total clock time (34 hours) and more flight segments (four and sometimes five) to get to Curacao than our friends from Europe.

Rich, W3ACO, joined our team for the second time, traveling from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. That sounds like it should be easy, but he was delayed out of CID by American Eagle and had to spend an unplanned night in Miami.

Pete, K8PGJ, came to the island from Detroit, his first trip to PJ2T, taking a chance on a place he had never been and a bunch of guys he had never met. He fitted in instantly and was a huge asset to the team.

Ray, NM2O, traveled from Albany, New York.

And finally there is long time CCC/PJ2T member Jack, N4RV, traveling from Washington Dulles who has been operating from the Coral Cliff neighborhood of Curacao for some half a century, earning multiple World #1 single op titles from that neighborhood. Jack and Gwyn in fact spent their honeymoon in the famous PJ9JT, now PJ2T house. His long experience was of priceless value to the team.

So in the best spirit of the contest our CQ Worldwide team really was worldwide. In the space of a few hours on Tuesday before the contest we met Uli?s KLM 747 at the airport, Heiko?s Air Berlin flight from Dusseldorf, Ton?s slightly later KLM flight from Amsterdam, and multiple American Airlines flights from the States. Kei arrived Thursday on Tui Airlines from Amsterdam via Aruba. Just add up the miles they traveled collectively to be able to sit down at our desk on Friday night and start giving out the five nine nines that you heard all weekend.

All of us in this sport are fascinated that it?s a different contest every time. The solar forecasts were for active to disturbed conditions. The forecasts were correct. We noted suppressed conditions on many bands. Polar paths suffered the most. In years with peak sunspots, conditions are so good that everyone works everyone, and in those conditions the contest is usually dominated by the Zone 33 teams who are very close to Europe and thus are able to benefit from huge availability of many nearby mults on the low bands, while at the same time being able to run North America like crazy. In years at the bottom of the cycle it sometimes seems like nobody is working anything and we all ask ourselves why we?re not home watching football. But in the in between years like this year, we benefit in the Caribbean. Zone 33 is able to still rack up tons of mults, particularly on the low bands, but have some problems working North America, especially on 10. When the States is not able to run Europe vigorously, attention turns to the Caribbean, and we benefit as you can see from our QSO counts. Also, we have the benefit of the north-south path and thus 10 sounds great to us when it seems nearly dead for east-west paths. So in conditions like this year our ability to make very large numbers of QSOs into North America makes up and then some for Zone 33?s ability to harvest lots of low band mults. How that all balances out awaits final corrected scores, but one has to admit that the changing landscape of the contest, year by year, is endlessly fascinating.

PJ2T is now beginning our 17th continuous year of contesting from the former PJ9JT / W1BIH John Thompson QTH. We have only missed one major contest in all that time, that one because of a last minute medical problem. Doing so requires major support of all kinds from our dedicated CCC club members, and I am happy to be able to thank all of them here publicly for all those years of effort. The composition of our membership has changed over all that time, understandably, as life situations change, but our accomplishments in this contest and in this contest season are a result of the accumulated support of all those people over a long period of years. I thank and salute them all.

For this specific CQWW SSB 2016 effort, a special thanks to Uli, DL8OBQ, a highly accomplished operator and leader, who coached the team, led the on-air strategy, crafted the operating schedule, went all weekend with nearly zero sleep, and kept us all on our game. Thanks also to veteran Jack, N4RV, for his inputs from a half century of Curacao experience before and during the operation, for his incredible pileup ears, and for keeping everyone laughing. I also thank Heiko, DK3DM (?The Loudspeaker?) for his tirelessness and stamina on the air, Ray, NM2O, for unparalleled analytical analyses, Kei, JJ1RJR for his long travel, great operating skills, and spoken Japanese during those JA runs. Ton, PA1CC, is an incredibly friendly and articulate gentleman and a whisper-quiet operator, and you would almost not even notice he is sitting there except that the rate meter at times glows red when he?s operating. Rich, W3ACO, doubled as our incredible chef for the week and also did a masterful job on the air, patiently carrying runs and chasing mults, and Pete, K8PGJ, adapted to the station immediately and distinguished himself by being willing to do ANYTHING at any time for anyone that could help the team on the air, my work, trips to the airport, antenna work at a local, slogging in the hot sticker bushes and cactus, or anything else that needed to be done. Tom, VE3CX is a seasoned, highly experienced contester and he was a huge asset to the on-air team and we were very lucky to have his presence, and he also made an embarrassingly large unsolicited cash contribution after he got home to help keep PJ2T on the air.

Finally, I again thank our member Rick, N0YY, who with W0AWL and W0GXA in Iowa built our beautiful new operating consoles and much of the new antenna switching system, and Mal, NP2L, who has, without ever having been asked, contributed very significant amounts of cash over a period of many years to the PJ2T effort. We are also indebted to Tom, W8TK, for enormous donations of equipment in our early years and to Yaesu for helping us to obtain two FT-2000s on attractive terms. These, together with many other contributions and efforts too numerous to mention individually, have kept us going and have resulted in the fairly recent addition of our 4O3A triplexer system, a high power antenna switch from W9NJY, the new operating desks, and the pushbutton antenna switching system that have greatly improved our on air operability, and it all shows in this year?s score.

Also always in our thoughts are our departed members Noel, W9EFL (SK), Joe, W9JUV (SK), our QSL Manager Scott, N9AG (SK).

For 48 magic hours all of us around the world in the contest are part of a fellowship of friends bound by passion and shared interest, respect, and admiration. Nothing in the world could have made me more proud or feel more privileged than to stand at PJ2T?s kitchen sink with my arms crossed and a broad smile and watch this great group of friends in our shack engaged with all of you in this wonderful worldwide family.

QSLs via W3HNK and LotW. See you on the CW weekend.

59 9 from Curacao, and thanks!

      - Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX, Coeur d Alene, Idaho