[CQ-Contest] Dimmer Switch RFI

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dimmer Switch RFI
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 15:38:15 -0600
Here's what the spectum of a Lutron dimmer switch looks like:

http://sdellington.us/hr/RFI161127.jpg

There's a long tail upward in frequency for perhaps 70 kHz. Repeats every 96 kHz, and it's quite stable. That quiet range is only 20-30 kHz, but I was somewhat lucky last weekend that one fell at the low end of 20. The sharp cutoff made it easy to identify with a handheld receiver. I mistook it for a switching power supply, but that's sort of what it is, anyway. I can see many similar, but weaker, signals with the same sort of spectrum, no doubt devices of other neighbors in my urban neighborhood. (Some of these others are switching at different frequencies, coming from different directions, etc.)

I bought the neighbors a replacement dimmer (Levitron), but we'll see if that solves the problem. As others have pointed out, it could be mis-wiring or the LED lamps themselves.

73,

Scott  K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA